Thursday, March 25, 2010

Troubles of Separation

I think one of the hardest parts of being separated from the ones you love is the lack of comfort. Sometimes you just need to be comforted or feel the overwhelming desire to comfort others. Being separated turns that empty ache into an almost unbearable throbbing pain. It makes you feel useless in the face of something greater than yourself.

When people you care about are suffering and you cannot do anything to help, it is the most helpless feeling there is. It is worse when the comfort of a loved one would help, if only because there is someone else who knows you are in pain and is there to support you, and they can't be there.

I hate feeling helpless. I think everyone does. I just wish there was something I could do other than offer words of comfort. Words of comfort have never been my strong suit. I always feel awkward and inadequate in the face of grief or suffering. I think that is why I have always distanced myself from those situations. But how can I maintain that distance when I care? Especially when so much real distance is in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment